Beef And Shitake Stew On Garlic Mashers
Original Recipe by MingTsai
- 2 pounds hanger or skirt steak cut into 2 by 2-inch pieces (you can use cube steak - which is dirt cheap and just as good if not better)
- 1 diced red onions
- 1 diced carrots
- 1 diced stalks of celery
- 1 minced shallot
- 1 tablespoon fermented black beans (you can get this in wacky gourmet stores or asian stores - it's kind of important)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1 head of garlic, cloved (I do about 1/2 head minced)
- 1 pound quartered shiitake mushrooms, stems removed (I've been using portobelo mushrooms (which are just big shitakes) - much cheaper and just as good - get about 3)
- 1/2 cup shaoshing wine (again - silly gourmet store - kind of important but I guess you could substitute white wine in a pinch - but wouldn't advices it)
- 1/3 cup dark soy sauce
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil to cook
- GARLIC MASHED POTATOES
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 head roasted garlic
- 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 stick butter
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preheat stock pot (cast iron is best)
Preheat oven to 325
Season both sides of meat with salt and pepper.
Brown seasoned meat and set aside. (might have to do two batches)
Add some olive oil to the pot and saute onions, shallot, carrots, celery beans, ginger.
Add mushrooms and garlic (don't burn the garlic).
Deglaze with shaoshing and reduce about 50% of the liquid at a rapid boil.
Add soy sauce and beef stock.
Bring to a simmer, cover, and place in oven for an hour or so.
Serve over mashed potatoes.
GARLIC MASHED POTATOES
In a saucepot, add potatoes and fill with cold water. Add a little salt. Slowly boil potatoes for 30 to 40 minutes until potatoes come cleanly off of a pairing knife. In another saucepan, caramelize garlic, then add the cream. Reduce cream by 30 percent. In a large stainless steel bowl, add hot potatoes and garlic cream. Hand mash together. Add salt and pepper and check for seasoning